Recently PRSA GA put on Shadow Day for PRSSA students in Georgia. When I was preparing for Shadow Day, I went to my boss, Vince Miller, for some advice. Overlooking the jokes he threw in about me, it was actually really helpful.
- You know that person in class that you want to throw stuff at? Don’t be that person.
- Don’t talk to much.
- Don’t answer every question.
- When they ask you a question always answer (with something intelligent — I made this inference from his don’t say something stupid Brianna stare. That is the look he gives me when his boss comes around.).
- When someone else answers a question (and you like their answer), tell them good job (for example: good point).
- Leave a good impression with every person you speak to. (For me this is the most frustrating piece of advice because I have no clue how to do that.)
When I walked into Shadow Day at MSL in Atlanta. The one thing that continued to play through my mind was my boss’ advice. Even though I may have talked the most in the group (everyone else was painfully quiet way too often), I think it went really well. I learned so much about PR, agency life, MSL and even tips on how to get a job after graduation. What do you think? Do you disagree or agree with any of his advice? Do you have some advice to add?
Keep a look out for my follow up piece on Shadow Day and the networking event.